|  Add to Favorite   |  HOME  |  
  143B Orchard St New York, NY 10002 U.S.A.     GALLERY OPEN HOURS : Wednesday-Sunday, 11am to 6 pm     Able Fine Art NY Gallery      

ABOUT  
 ARTISTS 
 PRESS 
ARTISTS

Biography

Qiurui Du

Qiurui Du is an artist from Beijing, China and is currently based in New York City. Having grown up in an artistic family his love of art grew tremendously. Queer identity and life experience give Qiurui unique point of views and inspirations in art. As an introverted  persons, he expressed all his emotions and ideas through colors and images, and he believes art is a way to tell stories. In Qiurui’s work, he deconstruct his inner fears, love, and Chinese pop cultures, and the subject matter in Qiurui’s artworks is also inspired by his surroundings as well as daily experiences within the social framework. He creates corny scenarios with bright colors and flat images to bring the viewers into an illusionary dimension, where reality and imagination have been combined. In the Qiurui’s recent solo exhibition “A Bizarre World” (May, 2018), he has explored his childhood memories in his hometown Beijing with the particular attention to the social conflict and pop cultures that were influenced by China’s tremendous development and used acrylic to create a colorful imaginary world with black senses of humor to address the social issues, such as environmental problems, the conflict between poor and rich, and traditional Chinese life style in Modern Chinese society.

Education
2018 B.F.A , Parsons School Of Design, Dept. Illustration, New York, United States

Solo Exhibition
2018 A Bizarre Dream, Van Der Plas Gallery, New York, United Sates

Selected Exhibitions & Group Exhibitions
2018 Itching: Conner Yang & Qiurui Du, Happiness 42, Shanghai, China
2018 Parsons Illustration Senior Show, New York, United States

Award
2018 Delusional Art Competition, People’s Choice by Jonathan leVine Project

Collections
2018 A Bizarre Dream: Scenario 2, Songzhuang Hotel, Beijing, China
2018 Street Breakfast, Ruyijia Interior Design Co, LTD, Beijing, China
2018 Street Haircut, Ruyijia Interior Design Co, LTD, Beijing, China

Press/publications
2018 A Bizarre Dream, Sinovision English Channel

Artist Statement

My childhood memory is blurry and mysterious because many details are gone with time. Beijing is my hometown, but sometimes I feel it’s slowly becoming a different city. Whenever my mom had to travel to other places, she always liked to bring me with her. I had a great opportunity to see the world with my own eyes. However, as an introverted person, books and films became my best friends when I was young. I built an imagined world around myself. No matter where I am, Beijing still has a special place in my heart. The speed of the development in China is really fast. Whenever I go back to China, new skyscrapers have been built, and old Hutongs haven’t been torn down. Then I realized that my hometown has changed, and the memories of my childhood there could only live in my heart. In my artwork, I have explored my childhood memories with the particular attention to the social conflict and Chinese pop culture that was influenced by China’s tremendous development. China changes every day, it’s too fast, and it’s hard to catch up with the changes. The disconnection between myself and Chinese society made me think about the question, is Beijing the one changed or is me? China is a strange land; it’s old and new, westernized but still traditional. Sometimes nothing makes sense in nowadays Chinese society. Looking back; my childhood is the most bizarre dream I’ve ever had. In my work, I deconstruct my inner fears, the impact of Chinese culture, and my life experiences. My subject matter also is inspired by my surroundings as well as daily experiences of my childhood to address the social issues, such as environmental problems, the conflict between poor and rich, and the traditional Chinese lifestyle in modern Chinese society. Maybe my childhood is a combination of reality and my fantasy, and I’m a dreamer who dreams in a bizarre world.

Contact us  |   HOME       ablefineart twitter   ablefineart facebook   ablefineart youtube
143B Orchard St New York, NY 10002 U.S.A. / Tel: 1-212-477-1188 / info@ablefineartny.com
Copyright ⓒ 2022 ABLE FINE ART NY. All rights reserved